Nagoya Institute of Technology
Areas of Specialization
- Buddhism and women in contemporary Japan
Areas of Interest
- Religion and postcolonial feminism
- Okinawan religions
Major Relevant Publications
- Noriko Kawahashi, "Gender Issues in Japanese Religions," in Nanzan Guide to Japanese Religions, Swanson and Chilson eds., U. of Hawaii Press, 2006
- Noriko Kawahashi, "Japanese folk Religion and its Contemporary Issues," in A Companion to the Anthropology of Japan, Jennifer Robertson ed., Blackwell, 2005
- Noriko Kawahashi, "Gender and Japanese Religions", in Encyclopedia of Religion, 2nd ed., Macmillan Reference, 2005
- Noriko Kawahashi and Kuroki Masako, eds., Special Issue on "Feminism and Religion in Contemporary Japan," Japanese Journal of Religious Studies 30/3-4, 2003
- Noriko Kawahashi, Kayoko Komatsu, and Masako Kuroki, "Gendering Religious Studies: Reconstructing Religion and Gender Studies in Japan," in Gender, Religion, and Education in a Chaotic postmodern World, Gross, Davies, and Diab eds., Springer, 2013
Other Information of Interest
- Member of the Board of Advisors of the International Institute for the Study of Religion in Tokyo.
- Co-founder of the Tokai-Kanto Network for Women and Buddhism.